From Cleland Lanark Scotland
The Brown family lived at Newarthill, parish of Bothwell, Scotland. Newarthill, a village, in that part of the parish of Bothwell which formed the late quoad sacra parish of Holytown, Middle ward of the county of Lanark. 1 1/4 mile (SE by E) from Holytown; containing 968 inhabitants. This village is situated south of the postroad from Edinburgh to Glasgow. In the heart of a district abounding with coal and ironstone; and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in collieries, and in the iron and steel works which are carried on in the immediate vicinity. Schools are supported by the proprietors of the works for the instruction of the children of their workmen; and to most of them are attached libraries of useful books.
[From A topographical dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis, 1846]
to Quairading Western Australia
The Brown and Loudon families sailed for Australia on the ORMUZ and arrived at Fremantle, Western Australia on the 31st of December 1908. They spent the first night on Perth Esplanade very sad and homesick, especially as it was New Years Eve. They then journeyed to York by train, which was the rail terminus in those days. Then they set off for Quairading district by dray where they joined Mary (Loudon) Wilson and family. Mary was Grace Brown’s sister and had migrated to Western Australia earlier.
The family set up camp and lived under canvas until their home was established. This they named “Craignethan”. They were amongst the first pioneers in the district and suffered much hardship in their new land. The whole family was noted for their musical ability.
The boys set to work clearing the timber. The price paid was $1 per acre. This involved chopping down trees , burning stumps and grubbing them out. Only when the job was finished were they paid.